Encouraging

"Be not afriad of greatness. Some were born with greatness, some ACHIEVE greatness and some have greatness thrusted upon them."

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Accidents happen


Last week i was at work cleaning and organizing the cooler. My Boss Melissa and i were looking at  drinks for inventory reasons.  We found a whole cart full of expired drinks. Melissa told me to throw them out. i took the carton out to the garbage and just as i was about to throw a whole carton of glass bottles away i realized it would make a HUGE mess. I thought "That wouldn't be very nice for the garbage man" (i know of all things to think of at that time, i think of the garbage man's feelings!). I went back inside the store and grabbed a couple plastic grocery sacks. i put ALL 15 bottles into one bag, thinking it would be just fine. NOT... right as i picked up the bottles, the bag broke and glass shatter EVERYWHERE. i thought "Great Lisa, what were you thinking, now YOU have glass to deal with instead of the garbage man!" I didn't want to use a broom because that would just make a bigger mess. i started by picking up the big pieces of glass. i went back inside to grab another bag and told some co-workers what had happen. One of them suggested using bread. I thought BREAD? she said that it picks up glass fairly well. i thought i would give it a try, i got a couple of pieces of bread from the kitchen and headed outside AGAIN. The bread worked for a little bit. Let's just say bread and asphalt are NOT  the best of friends. It picked up the bread, but three seconds later it fell to the ground again. i was getting impatient by this time. i was irritated that i didn't think this through, and i was cold because it was windy. i started picking up the glass with my fingers again. i was almost done when all of a sudden if fell something CUT ME! i knew it would happen i was just waiting for the moment. After i took care of the glass i went inside to get a band-aid. Of course people freaked out when they saw my finger bleeding. i told them it wasn't a big deal, i just needed a band-aid.  I treated my wound properly and went on with my day. No less than TWO minutes i looked down and saw i bled through my band-aid.  This was our alternative band-aid. I have to say one thing.....DUCK TAPE FIXES EVERTHING!

3 comments:

Cyndi said...

This is a funny story. What kind of trash can do you have in Dutch John? Usually the garbage truck arm picks it up and dumps it in the truck. Or the garbage man just picks up the whole thing and tosses it in the back. That was so thoughtful of you. Bread uh? I can see how that would work for sliver pieces on your kitchen floor. What a mess. Thank goodness for duct tape! Love you.

Cyndi said...

I forgot to say...I can totally see myself doing the same thing. Where are those utility work gloves when you need them?

Jay and JoAnn said...

I had never heard of bread. My mom always taught me to use a wet paper towel to pick up the last little sliver pieces. Not sure that would work on asphalt. I wouldn't worry so much about the garbage man. He knows what he is doing. Love, Mom